Monday, January 27, 2014

January 2014 Favorites

Just a few of my favorites for this month.  I resisted spending a lot of money, but still purchased a few new things to try. Here is my list of favorites in no particular order:

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Shampoo and Fortifying Conditioner:
 This contains Avocado, Olive and Almonds oils to deeply nourish and restore your hair to be stronger, smoother and silkier. I wash with this shampoo every other day and use a very small amount of the conditioner as I don't want it too terribly soft and smooth so my hair will hold curl.  My hair has natural curl and waves so I let it air dry while I apply my makeup and then use a 3/4 inch barrel curling iron to shape up the curls.  After the curling iron I apply my lipstick then shake out my hair and it is soft nice curls.  I love this!  It is so much easier now and my hair is back to being shiny and not dull from using a hair dryer.

Philosophy Miracle Worker Foundation:
I am always searching for the perfect foundation, so when I discovered this at Ulta I decided to give it a try.  It is shown as a "miraculous anti-aging liquid makeup with broad spectrum spf 30 sunscreen."  My color is Shade 5.  The coverage is medium but appears to be buildable to a medium-to-full coverage.  The finish is soft and pretty but not too dewy-looking.  The staying power is maybe about 4 hours.  After lunch it has definitely faded.  I am not completely sold on this yet, but like it so far.

L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup:
I have heard about this foundation for quite awhile but always resisted because no testers are available to select your color.  Luckily, in a magazine, I got one of the cards with all the colors to compare to your skin tone.  As close as I could come was Creamy Natural C3.  I truly like this foundation!  I glides on effortlessly with medium to full coverage, using my Real Techniques Stippling Brush.  I like the way it looks on my skin, but am still surprised I matched to a Cool shade.  I always thought my skin was more neutral. 

MAC Pro-Longwear Concealer: 
I agonized over this and could not decide between the NW20 and the NC20, but ended up with the NW20.  I think NW20 will be my summer shade and I will have to go back and purchase the NW15.  The coverage is great but NW20 oxidizes a little darker.  I also have been using it as my eyeshadow primer and it is great for that!  I don't get the brightening effect with NW20 that I would like.

Philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash:
This came in a gift when I purchased the Miracle Worker Foundation.  This is the nicest exfoliating wash I have found since the one that Lancôme had back in the 1980's.  There is no fragrance and the exfoliating grains are not too rough.  I am finding my skin texture is improving and makeup looks better on my skin.

NYX Butter Gloss:
Love, Love Love these glosses!  I purchased Crème Brulee and Apple Strudel.  Crème Brulee is a perfect pinky nude that is perfect if you are going with a smokey eye that day and don't want strong lips.  The Apple Strudel is a peachy color that looks amazing over a light orange or tangerine lipstick or even a true nude like Soft Nude from Revlon Colorburst.  I had stayed away from glosses over lipstick for a long time because of lines around my lips (no I don't smoke).  These glosses stay put and do not bleed into those fine lines.  I will definitely be purchasing more colors.


Things I am looking for:
The Pantone color for 2014 is Radiant Orchid and I am watching to see what the makeup houses come  up with.  I have already seen a couple of glosses and lipsticks that fall into that category, but have not found an eyeshadow that knocks my socks off yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment